Thursday, January 6, 2011

Children of the Sea

Perfect beginning. Perfect ending. Perfect story.

I love the fact that the author put the whole story in letter-format. The narrators write improperly, yet you understand everything they're writing and feeling. After the first few pages, I realized how deep the story really was. The man and woman writing letters to each other have way different stories, but the reader never loses track of what's going on. I actually, for once, enjoyed reading something from a thick school textbook.


My favorite parts of the text were were the man and woman repeated one another. "They say behind mountains are more mountains." Random phrases like this made me think what they are really trying to say. I figured the narrators are not actually talking about mountains. They're talking about their personal experiences away from each other and using the "mountains" as a metaphor. I interpret this phrase being the opposite of "one door closes, another one opens." It really sounds more like "problems come and go, but you'll never be free of them." It's a little sad, but it makes sense because of the situations they're in. 


Just from the way the author writes, you can tell so much about the characters. Not once does the author say anything obvious about them. Through her writing, she can show the reader what the character is like and that isn't very easy. For instance, the writing styles of both characters. The man writes more proper, which shows he's more educated and comes from a wealthier side of the family. The woman writes incomplete sentences, just seeming to jot down random ideas in her letters. Her way of writing shows she is a bit less educated, meaning she most likely comes from a poorer background.


Reading this short story, I probably did more deep thinking than the author put into writing it.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with what you are trying to say. I too think that the author does a great job at keeping the two stories separate but still relevant to one another. I liked the metaphors in the story because it helps shape the character and show how much they long to be together. The was both characters write explains their education level as well as there feelings.
    Good job I liked it.

    ReplyDelete